How to become a lawyer ?
Course of studies, practicum and state exam ; these are the three basic steps to become a lawyer.
The lawyer is one of the professions that arouses the greatest charm among young people, and that is why Jurisprudence is the third faculty by number of members. Why do young people want to become lawyers? Probably many of them are driven by the gain of a lawyer , while for others it is a real vocation.
Before analyzing in detail the steps to be followed to become a lawyer, let's see what this profession consists of. What is a lawyer? This is a freelancer who carries out both judicial activities , through defense and representation in court, and out-of-court . For example, a lawyer can take care of the periodic consultations, the drafting of opinions and the drafting of complex contracts.
How to become a lawyer? Below you will find information on how to become a lawyer. Rules that could change soon with the entry into force of the new rules of the legal reform . To date, however, the steps to follow to become lawyers are the following:
- Practical training;
- State examination.
Let's analyze the various points in detail.
How to become a lawyer? Degree course
You can become a lawyer regardless of the type of diploma obtained. In fact, unlike what is still said today, it is not true that those who have studied the humanities have a greater chance of becoming lawyers.
The important thing is to have a diploma that allows enrollment in a degree course in Law . Over the years, more and more universities have adopted the course of study of the new system, divided into three years for the three-year basic degree and two for the specialist, while the five-year courses are decreasing.
It must be stressed, however, that the three-year degree in Law (or Juridical Sciences) is not enough to become lawyers, but the specialist is compulsory. The degree mark, however, is irrelevant for the continuation of the path towards the qualification to practice forensic .
What will change with the reform? With the approval of the forensic reform a new course of study will be established divided into 4 years of training and in a fifth year dedicated to specialization. The last year will therefore be aimed at enrolling in the professional registers of lawyers and notaries and for this the student will have the opportunity to perform 6 of 18 months of practicum.
How to become a lawyer? The internship
After graduation you will have to play an internship , lasting 18 months , in the office of a lawyer enrolled at least 5 years. There are rules to follow during the training to become lawyers, without distinction for those who aspire to become a civil lawyer or criminal lawyer. Here are the following:
- participate in at least 20 hearings per semester, for a total of 60 hearings;
- the presence at the hearing must be indicated in the minutes which will then be verified by the judge;
- the frequency of the study can not be less than 15 hours per week;
- obligation to take part in professional training courses;
- during the traineeship the trainee is not entitled to a salary, but he is due an expense reimbursement;
- it is possible to do an internship with two different lawyers, but only with the consent of the Council of the competent Order and only if one of the two lawyers does not guarantee a sufficiently formative practice;
- the training as a lawyer can also be done in a court, but for a maximum of 12 months. In the remaining 6 months the apprenticeship must be carried out at a lawyer's office.
After the first year of apprenticeship you will be able to obtain the authorization to the patronage, so you can begin to defend the client both in the causes of jurisdiction of the Justice of Peace, both before the tribunal in monocratic composition, but only in civil cases that respect the following parameters: